|Kevin Dunn was an assistant professor (teaching track) in the Department of Chemical Engineering at McMaster University from July 2012 to August 2016. See his LinkedIn page for more background information.|
- Statistics and data analysis (also see my collection of freely-available data sets)
- Latent variable methods
- (Chemical) Engineering education
- Software applications for engineering
- Online learning. I taught McMaster's first MOOC from 7 July to 15 August 2014, Experimentation for Improvement. The course has been re-launched in 2015 as on-demand course that can be started and completed at any time, at your own pace. As of August 2019 over 20,000 people have enrolled in the course, and more than 1200 have completed it.
- MACCMIA - software for multivariate image analysis
- PID package for R - software for design of experiments planning and visualization in R.
- Ucomment - interactive commenting on documents written in restructured text.
- Response surface optimization - test your skills optimization a system with RSM (still under development)
- Latent variable literature - a searchable collection of literature on this topic (mostly related to my interests)
- OpenMV datasets - houses a collection of datasets used for teaching and illustrating statistical issues
22 September 2015: On technology in the classroom, MOOCs and online learning
Publications and Presentations
- An overview of Designed Experiments, invited talk, DSM Science Meeting, August 2019.
- Using 3rd party video materials in your course, presented at OE Global, TU Delft, Netherlands, 2018. The link shows the brainstormed collective tips and advice for building a course with other people's materials.
- The effect of giving students unlimited time to complete test (key result: there is little to no boost to their grade, but there are plenty of other benefits for assessment), 2015.
- Using MOOC materials in a flipped/blended campus class: Learning Technologies Symposium, McMaster University, 20 May 2015.
- Collaborative testing for improved student learning: a talk given at the Learning Technology Symposium, McMaster University, 12 May 2014.
- Completely electronic assignments in Chemical Engineering: a talk given at the Learning Technology Symposium, McMaster University, 15 May 2013.
Feel free to download and use my draft book on Process Improvement using Data. It is currently used at McMaster University and University of Western Ontario to teach statistical tools for engineering students.
- K. Dunn, "Avoid R-squared to judge regression model performance", 5 April 2021
- T. R. McCurdy, K. Volterman, R. Shiell, M. Zeadin, K. Dunn, J. De Melo, P. Helli, "Enhancing Two-stage Collaborative Exams by Incorporating Immediate Feedback", Discussions on University Science Teaching: Proceedings of the Western Conference on Science Education: Vol. 1 , Article 9, 2017.
- Elizabeth S. Takács, Michael R. Thompson, John Vlachopoulos, Kevin G. Dunn, Kent E. Nielsen and Frank A. Brandys, "Factors affecting gloss and color of decorative pressure sensitive adhesive films during thermo-mechanical deformation". Polymer Engineering and Science, 56, p 1357–1365, 2016.
- F.P.C. Gomes, A. Bovell, G.P. Balamurugan, M.R. Thompson and Kevin G. Dunn, "Evaluating the influence of contacting fluids on polyethylene using acoustic emissions analysis". Polymer Testing, 39, p 61-69, 2014.
- Svante Wold, Nouna Kettaneh-Wold, John F. MacGregor, Kevin G. Dunn, "Batch process modeling and MSPC (Multivariate Statistical Process Control)". Comprehensive Chemometrics, In: Brown S, Tauler R, Walczak R (eds.), 2, 163-197, Oxford: Elsevier, 2009.
- Jay Liu, Manish H. Bharati, Kevin G. Dunn and John F. MacGregor, "Automatic masking in multivariate image analysis using support vector machines", Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, 79, 42-54, 2005.
My resume, in the standard McMaster University format, is available here (updated, February 2015).
Masters degree in Chemical Engineering, McMaster University, Canada, 2002.
Bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering, University of Cape Town , South Africa, 1999.